Complaining versus having an opinion

It's been brought to my attention lately that I complain a lot. Didn't really think of myself as much of a complainer, but hearing this from someone who knows me pretty well, I take stock.

I do like to comment on a lot of things and I see how my negative comments can be taken as complaining. Like how the steak is overcooked, how google+ randomly inserts unsolicited posts in my stream, how cold it is in my house... In my view, I'm just voicing an opinion.

Which got me thinking, is there a difference between giving a negative opinion and complaining? In both cases you are sharing a negative view about something, but I think the difference is that the latter is accompanied with a desire for recompense, whether from the subject or some unknown power. It is told as if someone owes you something.

All the same, I will pay attention to what I say over the next few days to see if this is true. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the mercy of hurricane Sandy

This is 40!

Supporting through thin but not through thick