This is 40!

I'm usually low key about my birthday but this year I feel like I've reached a milestone that I want to express my gratitude for the life that I've been given.

I was born winning the lottery to wonderful parents, two amazing siblings, an incredible extended family. From living in a small town in the Philippines, to Manila, then Toronto, and now to California, life has opened up so many opportunities. I have met so many good people along the way that I'm blessed to call friends.

As I celebrate my 40th, I remember friends who were gone too soon, people who are grieving the loss of a child or a loved one, friends that are going through challenges and tough times. I pray that through God's grace that you'll see through the other side of this.

This year started out incredibly with meeting President Jimmy Carter (who shares my birthday - he turns 95 today!) and sitting in his Sunday school class in Plains, Georgia.

Shortly after that trip, we found out that we were pregnant. Our journey to having a second baby has not been an easy one, but we rejoice and we are hopeful!

Deciding that there's never a perfect time to look for a new job, I fought through the fatigue of first trimester pregnancy to prepare for job interviews, and by divine appointment landed my dream job of doing android development at Netflix.

Thanks to Netflix, today I start my paid parental leave at a company whose policy is to "take as much time as you need to take care of your family" in a country where parental benefits are lacking.

I'm so grateful to have my husband Pierre by my side. I drive him crazy sometimes, but he's still here. We have a beautiful son Léo and a baby daughter on the way.

He's not much of an emotional guy but for my birthday he put together a sweet 18-minute video of birthday greetings from friends and family all over the world, from as far as Brisbane, Chefchaouen, Paris, Manchester and Manila. The videos made me laugh and cry. Thanks to everyone who sent videos and greetings! You have brightened up my day.

I am truly blessed and so grateful to be alive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the mercy of hurricane Sandy

Supporting through thin but not through thick