When "the universe" conspires

This was the first time I've ever cried in an interview.

The question was, "Why did you decide to interview with us now?"

In fact, I've been trying to find a new job since two years ago while pregnant with my first child. I had completed four interviews by the time I was in the second trimester but ended up with just one offer for a job in San Francisco. It wasn't worth the long commute while pregnant so I turned it down. The year after, I was just trying to survive with interrupted sleep and functioning at work.

I started thinking about interviewing again after my son turned a year old. I started talking to a few companies at this time. But then came the second pregnancy, the unexpected diagnosis, the tests and procedures to follow, the grief of loss. This brought a stop to all my interviewing plans. It was thinking about my journey that brought tears to my eyes.

Fast forward to February of this year when the hiring manager for Android at Netflix who I talked to last year reached out to me saying they still don't have an open position, but he'd like to meet me for coffee just to stay in touch. Seems like an odd request from someone who isn't interested in hiring but I was curious to see where it led. I made an appointment to meet him at the Netflix headquarters.

We had a great meeting discussing their current projects, challenges, team structure. He encouraged me to interview saying that he could open up a position if I'm a good fit.

I contacted him soon after and told him that I wanted to come and interview in April. We had plans to go to Paris for DroidCon since Pierre is speaking at the conference again. I figured I would lose the momentum if I interviewed after going on a two week vacation in Paris. At the same time, if I got rejected, I would have the two weeks in Paris to get over it. He said he needed to talk to HR to make sure he can open up a position. In the meantime, I started going into serious studying mode. I also scheduled another interview with a second company to practice my interviewing skills.

We had just found out in February that I was pregnant again. It was a daily battle of the will going through the symptoms of early pregnancy--fatigue, upset stomach, bloating, gas, nausea--choosing not to let that be an excuse for skipping interview prep time each day. My husband was so supportive, taking over the drop off and pick up duties for our son so that I can have a few extra minutes to study every day before they come home. I continued studying after we put him to bed at night.

Sure enough, the hiring manager was able to arrange an interview within my desired timeline.

If you believe in God or have read "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho, you'll understand what I'm saying when it seemed like "the universe" was conspiring to lead me to this job.

The interview was split into two days--a 5 hour technical interview on one day and if you pass, another 3 hour culture fit interview a second day. The day of the technical interview, I was planning to call in sick at work, but the Holy Spirit convicted me, and I instead asked for a last minute vacation day.

I met with five interviewers that day. It was going really well until the one interview, where somehow my mind went blank and I couldn't think of a solution, not even a bad one, to the problem. In my mind, I was just praying, God put an idea in my head, help me think straight. Somehow I recovered after stumbling on the problem. I was able to come up with a solution after some hints. 

That interview was like the "thorn in the flesh" that the apostle Paul had to keep him from boasting. Otherwise I might think that it was all my efforts that led to a successful job interview.

I agonized over the weekend whether I would make it to the next round. I felt so much pressure in that I really wanted this job, and the thought that I might have to wait another two years for my chance really frustrated me. I was determined that if I don't get his job, I would continue interviewing even if I was visibly pregnant.

At church on Sunday, the pastor made an altar call for those who felt like they were tired and weighed down by their own striving and just want to give it all back to God. I knew God wanted to minister to me there. I cried and surrendered it all to God.

The next day, I heard the good news that I made it to the second round. I knew this was a blessing from God, but I felt the pressure again. It felt so close now I don't want it to slip away. 

Thank God the second round interviews went really well. I felt hopeful that I would get an offer.

The day before we were leaving for vacation, I got the good news! The sacrifices all seemed worth it.

I know for a fact that this was a divine appointment, the same way I got my first job, when I was lining up at the wrong line at the career open house, and somehow the recruiter moved me to the front of a line that wrapped around the outside of the building to talk directly with the hiring manager, who happened to remember me from reading my resume which I had submitted online that week.

At the New Years service at my home church in Toronto, a young couple testified about God's blessing in the workplace, helping them getting a job and a promotion that they didn't feel qualified for.  This was exactly how I felt. I did my part, but God made it happen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the mercy of hurricane Sandy

This is 40!

Supporting through thin but not through thick