The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
-- Marcel Proust, French novelist (1871-1922)
Giving freely
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I believe when God gives to us, he doesn't wish for some to have plenty and some to have lack. He invites us to participate in the blessing of giving to others, and in doing so he will multiply what you have.
It might seem odd that I entitled this blog "Mountaineering" or go by the twitter handle mountaineer10 . I don't particularly like climbing mountains. Rather, the name came from a show I liked called Alias where the heroine, Syndey Bristow, a double agent, went by the code name mountaineer. Initially I used the alias to set up a twitter account to play around with that doesn't have any obvious connections to me. But fast forward to present day, I actually like and use twitter now, so I've made my twitter identity known to the general public. Thus, the name has stuck. But maybe it's not a bad name. After all, life can be thought of as a constant journey uphill, like climbing a mountain, where we all are mountaineers. I'm just another one of them.
If you are able to get fresh, clean and drinkable water from a tap like I did, consider yourself lucky! Fresh clean water from a tap Many people turn on their tap and get brownish water, or worse no water. Other people don't even have a tap and must travel far to fetch water. For those who live in the first world, we hardly give any thought to the value of water and its scarcity in many parts of the world. On this day, why not take a few minutes to get more informed? Here are a few good links to get you started: World water day in pictures: http://gu.com/p/36c88/tw For Canadians, ideas on how you can take action on World Water day: http://canadians.org/water/issues/World_Water_Day/ Al Jazeera's documentary on Canada's oil sands and its effects on the nearby rivers. These should get the ideas flowing.
Finally finished listening to 30 hours of Roots on Audible , wonderfully read by Avery Brooks . Brooks reads out the story masterfully, adding song and rhythm to words, making the characters come alive in the listener's imagination. Roots tells the tumultuous story of an African-American family encompassing seven generations, starting from the proud African who was kidnapped near his village in Gambia, following the story of his descendants enduring five generations of slavery and then life after emancipation. In each enslaved generation, the desire for freedom was always present in the undertone, with hope rising and ebbing with the reality of their circumstance. There were many emotional moments listening to the recording, such as when the fiddler finally saves up enough money to buy his freedom, only to discover that prices have gone up and he would never live long enough to buy his freedom. Or the agony of a slave mother enduring the second time that her baby ...
Comments
Post a Comment