Widening my network

Upon reading this article today: The real way to build a social network, I have become extremely aware of how I've completely undervalued my "shallower" relationships.

There was a time a few years back when I felt completely overwhelmed by the amount of social obligations that I had--someone's birthday every week, house warming, baby showers, bridal showers, weddings to take up all of my weekends. I was so miserable that I had to consciously take some measures to reduce the social excess in my life.

It began by cutting off or severely loosening shallow ties. It wasn't easy and I took some flak for it, but it had to be done. I jumped at the chance to work abroad for six months in a country where I didn't know anyone nor did I speak the language. I missed my close friends and family but it felt so good not to have any obligations--to own my time completely.

Since coming back from that, I've changed my approach to friendships. I would invest heavily in the people that were in my inner circle and not worry too much about the rest.  As a side effect of this approach, I was also less open to meeting new people.  I already don't have enough time for my close friends, what is the point in making new ones?

My mistake was that I had lumped all the people in my life in the same basket. Not all relationships have to be personal. Good relationships can also just be collaborative--a network of people to exchange ideas and share interests with. I recall a night not too long ago where I was at a social gathering discussing politics with people I had just met and I had a stimulating time. So what if I don't know their last names?

According to the article, the best types of network are "wide and selectively deep."  I need to work on the "wide" part but it starts here with the shifting of the mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

At the mercy of hurricane Sandy

This is 40!

Supporting through thin but not through thick